Caromano's coat of arms
The Lords of Airuno were the members of the most important family in the
Capiate District. They applied the Lombard law. The local aristocratic
families of the Capitani di Vimercate, Brivio, Olginati, Lavelli, and
lots of others who dominated this area during the Middle Ages, had the
Lords of Airuno as their ancestors. Considering this aspect, we can
affirm that the local aristocracy had its roots in German civilization
They lived in the castle built on the hill overlooking the village of
Airuno, in the western side of the valley of the Adda river. From that
location, they could control the whole valley from the Lake Olginate to
the Merate hills. Likely the castle was destroyed between the fourteenth
and the fifteenth century.
Nowadays the renaissance church of St. Mary of the Fortress is located
on that hill, over the ruins of the Lombard church of St. Michael.
Nearly in A.D. 1000, the Lord of Airuno named Alcherio married Rotelinda,
daughter of Atto da Caromano, who lived near Capiate. Atto’s family
applied Lombard law too.
Capitani di Vimercate's coat of arms